Monday 30 July 2012

One way

It's nice when things come together in a totally unexpected way.



As I was walking back from a day in the park (sunny!) I saw a woman in a wedding dress on Portobello Road. An unusual situation I think, it had this whole "runaway bride" feeling about it. There were a lot of people walking in the opposite direction, getting in the way of my shot. I was also in line with a bunch of her friends walking behind her in the same direction so I just decided to shoot "from the hip" rather than bring the camera up to my eye. The lens was locked at 18mm and I just clicked when there was a break in foot traffic and moved on. Further down the road people were stopping in the street, taking out their cameraphones and just snapping away, which is probably less intimidating and in-your-face than a DSLR with a fat lens on it.

When I looked at the pic afterwards I think I got lucky. The people in frame were walking to the left, except the bride (and friend), nobody was in front of me, the "One way" arrow was in the centre of the frame pointing in the direction of the bride's path and the bride turned her head to look back at her friends. I don't know if there's any "theories" or "rules" with black & white photography but I did it with this because the buildings and bunting (all the colours in general, actually) were really distracting. As a black & white shot you're drawn more to the white of her dress.

100% unplanned and unframed but I think the different individual elements lined up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment