Tuesday 17 July 2012

Oh, hello there

So, this will be my attempt at creating a photography blog. I'm what you would call a noob when it comes to the world of photography, and I'm slowly picking up hints and tips along the way (only to forget them at a later date, hah!).

So why photography? Well, I like to draw, paint, sketch etc., but the mathematical/realistic/rational side of my brain always wants me to create true-to-life images. That's not to say that I can't draw non-realistic stuff, but I often end up drawing realistically. Kind of weird I think, especially when I studied René Magritte during my high school days.

Enter the camera. It enables me to create those "true-to-life" images. It makes it easier for me to create the realism that I often want in my drawings. That's not to say that photography is easy for me, far from it! (see "noob", 1st paragraph). It's a really complex, intricate, [another big adjective] subject with plenty of guidelines but no real fixed rules as to what a constitutes a good photo. (Hmm, kind of like art...)

I'm a snapshot person, first and foremost. I've never taken a photography course and don't really even know of any photographers (silly noob!) but, I'm learning as I go along, and it's very interesting.

I have thousands (yes, thousands) of pictures spread out on my computer and various hard drives taken over about 5-6 years (since my first point & shoot digital compact), but I don't think I've ever uploaded any of them (bar Facebook), or taken many of them with an artistic eye/non-snapshot mindset, so this blog will hopefully start to host a choice selection of those, as well as more recent photos (or snapshots :P) that I take. We'll see how this blog evolves.

'til the next post...


no photos yet, those thousands will need a good once-over ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment