Saturday 21 July 2012

Street signs

I read something in a photography book about "many" and "one" with regards to composition. I don't remember the exact points made, I'll need to read that book again.

55mm f/5.6 1/50 ISO-100

This is an attempt at "many", slightly cropped at the top edges to give the impression that the signs go on much further than the edges of the frame.

18mm (27@35mm) f/4.5 1/80 ISO-100

The same moment taken at a wide angle and the situation is different, now it's a street photo showing some people looking at signs (I like how the Titanic sign is upside-down... intentional?). I like that they are looking up, making the wall feel enormous. And is the guy pointing to the Jack Daniels sign?

Street photography is something which has sparked my interest recently, but as I'm not the most confident person in the world I sometimes feel a little pervy taking photos of random people on the street in normal situations. If, for example a guy was walking down the street with a parrot on his shoulder, then out comes the camera and I capture the (unusual) moment, but if a group of people are standing in such a way that is completely ordinary, but photographically quite interesting then I'm a little bit hesitant. The last thing I'd want is to get punched in the face for a misunderstanding. I'll try more, picking my moments obviously, but I probably should also learn how to duck and weave just in case.

(D5100, 18-55 kit lens)

No comments:

Post a Comment